Online Memorials


Missed By: His Daddy Rob

You May Go Now Nico Into God's Hands

And God asked Nico's feline spirit
Are you ready to come home?
Oh, yes, quite so, replied the precious soul
And, as a cat, you know I am most able
To decide anything for myself.

Are you coming then? asked God.
Soon, replied the whiskered angel
But I must come slowly
For my daddy Rob is troubled
For you see, he needs me, quite certainly.

But doesn't he understand? asked God
That you'll never leave him?
That your souls are intertwined. For all eternity?
That nothing is created or destroyed?
It just is....forever and ever and ever.

Eventually he will understand,
Replied Nico the glorious cat
For I will whisper into his heart
That I am always with him
I just am....forever and ever and ever

The Meeting Where Years of Love Was Shared and Enjoyed by Two Souls.

It was a very sad time for me, about 2 months before I had to say goodbye to my sweet baby Loki. As I cradled her in my arms and as she drew her last breath my heart and soul were crushed and I thought I would never recover and certainly not be able to give my heart to another animal.
After some time had passed my friend Blanqui suggested that I look into the shelters and see if I might want to adopt another fur baby. So we went to the shelter and found her, a beautiful little lady named Gypsy. I filled out all of the paperwork and now the wait was on. After being given a date to pick her up only to have it changed over and over I couldn't take the pain of getting my hopes up to be dashed repeatedly. So I abandoned the idea as I just felt that it was a higher being say not yet.
After a week or so had passed Blanqui said to me "I know that you said that you didn't want to look anymore but I found this cat in the newspaper so I called the lady and I told about you and loosing Loki, so I told her you would call her". So with much reservation I called her and we talked for about a half an hour, I didn't realize at the time that she was actually interviewing me. This lovely lady named Linda and her husband are both professionals that rescue abused animals and find forever homes for them. So we made a time to meet that evening and my friend and I headed out to meet this kitty.
We arrived and were invited in and there he was, laying on his side in front of the sliding glass doors my heart melted and for me it was love at first sight. I went over and lay down on my side in front of him and started talking to him then he got up and came over to me and gave me my first of many loving head butts followed by him rubbing his face marking me for his and then the sweetest kitty kisses ever. We were instantly in love and from that moment my new little furry man would give me more love and attention that any human ever has. From the on he would be called "Nico" my beautiful grey and white Maine Coon that I also some times referred to him as "my little fuzzy butt".
Over the years we shared many adventures but the one that I think we both enjoyed the most was living on a boat for 2 and a half years. How he loved laying in his bed looking out a million dollar view, watching the birds and the soft fresh breeze blowing in his face. I enclosed the front deck of the boat with netting so he could go out and enjoy the outside and did he ever. He was living the high life sunning himself on the deck, talking to all of our boating neighbors as the went by and without fail they would great him with "Hello Nico Buddy", he would get his extra head rubs and then come in to eat and nap then wake up, love on me a do it all over again.
During our time on the boat Nico developed a Rodent Ulcer in his upper lip so I took him into see his vet. The vet gave me the wrong information on the effects of giving a cat cortisone that the percentage of a cat developing feline diabetes from it were extremely greater that he told me. Had he given me the right numbers I would have chosen another route. Nico became very sick and was then diagnosed with diabetes. The vet started giving him insulin and his numbers didn't go down they went up to over 500, he even told me "it might be time to send him to kitty heaven". He kept increasing the dosage. In the meantime I had researched and found and organization called Diabetic Cats In Need (DCIN). I was connected to my support coach Carolyn who asked me to check and see what insulin and how much of it the vet was giving Nico. When I told here I could almost heard her without the phone. (she lives in Virgina Beach, Va. and I live in New Haven, Ct.) "Go get Nico because the vet is killing him, the insulin he is using was reformulated 4 years ago and he was giving the old dosage which was 4 times the amount of the newer version." She had already gotten in contact with another vet and told me to take him there. The vet at Baybrook Animal Hospital Dr. Lee Lipsitz DVM PhD would take care and get things under control.
The next day Dr. Lipsitz called me and told me I could pick him up that evening and meet with the Jennifer Jasensky from DCIN to receive the supplies I would need. Jennifer instructed me on how to check his blood on on how to give him his shots. Over the next 3 months Carolyn and I would be on the phone talking or texting many times a day going over his numbers and it finally came to the day when his diabetes reversed and my little trooper Nico was off of "the Juice"
Last year he was not eating well so I took him in for a full exam and total screening for everything. His x-rays showed that he was constipated so the my poor little guy had to endure an enema. What test and x-rays also revealed was that his kidneys were in failure which is typical for a cat his age. From then on is was a task to find anything he would eat, however he would devour his treats. He slowly began to eat less and less and on Tuesday morning my baby became very ill so I called the vet and explained what was going on and we decided to check back with each other and decide what steps to take. I wanted to comfort him and love him all I could and at 6:25pm he became very stressed and when I picked him up to comfort him I could hear the fluid in his lungs and although I didn't want to but knew what I had to do. I called the vet and rushed him there and at 7:05pm Tuesday August 28, 2014 I held my baby, my love, my soul-mate cradling him in my arms kissing his soft forehead as the medication was introduced and he drew his final breath.
Nico my baby, you gave daddy so much joy and love. When my time is here I know that you and Loki will be right there to meet me and we will be reunited once again. Until then my love, my baby boy rest well.